Friday, March 15, 2013

Cell Phone Organization


Image © 2013 Jupiterimages Corporation
Many of us carry a cell or smart phone around, or some type of device like that. Here are some tips to keep it from getting cluttered.

On a regular basis, delete text threads. Depending on how much you text, you can quickly pile up a ton of messages, most of which are not something you have to keep for more than a day or two. Use the "delete all" feature to clean these threads out.

Once a week or so, erase your call log, the list of all the calls that have come in or gone out of your phone. If this scares you, make sure you go through it and save any numbers you don't already have.

Delete emails you are done with. If you use your phone to scan emails, delete the ones you have already acted on. In my case, I used Outlook on my desktop to "pop" other servers to download email. For those settings, I have the server delete the emails. However, for my phone and iPad, I have the setting leave a copy on the server. I mainly use those devices to monitor mail of the day, not act on it. I don't want to take the chance of the email not eventually getting to my Outlook box.

Check any task list or reminder apps on which you might have left yourself a note. I use Bug Me Lite to make quick notes to myself during the week because I can program them to pop up later. The lite version only lets me have 5 notes, which is actually good. I have to delete some to add others, and that is good. By the end of the week, I actually like that app to be empty!

And PLEASE (pet peeve warning!) Delete your voice mail messages once you have listened to them and/or acted on them. It's frustrating to call someone and hear "the mailbox is full." It's very easy to delete messages. Why keep a pile of them on your phone?

Why bother doing all this? Because your mind gets cluttered too, when it sees a bunch of visual reminders of stuff to do. Often there's not a need to make your mind go back over conversations again and again when action has been taken. Visual clutter tires us out...and since you look at your phone a lot, why have a cluttered one?





Please comment below by clicking on the phrase about comments. You can use Facebook or our regular comment system! We reserve the right to remove inappropriate comments.
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment