Friday, April 5, 2013

Lack of Follow Through

©2013 Jupiterimages Corporation



Have you ever established a system, but then have trouble following through with it? If you are a creative person, you tend to have more fun coming up with solutions and tackling challenges, and may become bored when it comes to maintaining it. But this can cause you more stress.

For example, I have a system in place that I call my "transition time." It's the few minutes after I get home for the day that I use to transition into my home life. Because most of my commutes are 30-40 minutes each way, I tend to piggy back errands and stops. Thus I can end the day with a load of stuff in the truck to take into the house.

When I do my system well, I unload everything, tidying up the truck. Then I put everything away to a proper place for later use (i.e. paperwork onto the desk, keys onto the same hook inside the mud room, etc.) Then stuff is cleaned up before I even look at mail or messages from the day or I change into lounging clothes.

But sometimes because of fatigue or boredom, I dump things without sorting and putting away and jump into conversation or other projects that may interest me more. Trouble is, later, I'll feel stress as I try to get out the door and can't find my keys. So in the long run, the trade off of a few minutes of boredom for a few minutes of stress isn't worth it.

So when you come up with a system, and you feel bored with maintaining it, ask yourself, would I rather be briefly bored, or stressed out? Let that motivate you to stick with it.



Please comment below by clicking on the phrase about comments. You can use Facebook or our regular comment system! We reserve the right to remove inappropriate comments.
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

1 comment:

  1. I fly by the seat of my pants most days. I would love to be more organized but am usually chasing a deadline or collapsing on the couch in exhaustion ...

    ReplyDelete