Friday, April 1, 2011

Why I Use the Outlook Task List (Most of the Time)


I'm on Outlook a lot. It makes sense to use a system that you are in front of frequently. If you sit at a desk or in front of a mobile computing device as much as I do, using it to manage tasks is logical. For you, using a steno pad for an ongoing list, or a small portable notebook may be best. The key is to use something with which you are already comfortable.

I can easily create a task out of an email. Since I utilize email a lot, it is helpful when I can drag an email into a task and create a deadline for it. This not only puts it into my task pipeline, it removes it from my in-box (I like to keep my email inbox at zero!)

I do a lot of recurring tasks. I love how Outlook lets me set a pattern for repeating tasks. I'd say that about 3/4 of my tasks repeat regularly (weekly, monthly) By setting up a pattern, I know the reminder will show up again the next week (or after the programmed period of time.)

I can include details. The notes field allow plenty of space to put notes, links to the websites I'll need to use for that task, etc.

I can look ahead. When I know I have an event or other plans that will keep me away from my desk on a certain day, I can look ahead to that day and either do that day's tasks (working ahead) or discard or reschedule them. That way, when that busy day comes, its task list is already empty (or nearly so!)

I mentioned that I use Outlook "most of the time." I keep tasks related to one part-time workplace on that desktop. I keep tasks related to home and home business on the desktop at home.

For the remaining 10-20%, of the time, I use two apps on my Droid. Taskos allows me to make a list of things I need to do in the "third space" of errand running (primarily.) This also syncs with Google tasks if I happen to want a copy "in the cloud."

Bug Me Lite is a little post it note app that allows me to make a quick note in handwriting using my finger. It's not great for long tasks with details, but if I can scribble something that I'll remember, it works fine. I set a custom alarm for the note to pop up on my phone when I am at a place where I can complete the task (such as at my desk at home or my job.)

I also sometimes use VocaNote, which allows me to record an audio message that is translated to text and sent to my email box. This is good for thinking of something on the go that I want to do or remember later.

What have you found helpful for keeping track of your tasks?

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment