Friday, May 6, 2011

Sometimes I Stink at This

If it wasn't so frustrating, it would be comical that I am writing an organizing blog and working on a book. Since getting this going, it seems like I am even more aware of my challenges with staying organized. It makes me feel like a hypocrite. But a good friend (and one of the co-authors of the upcoming book) reminded me that I am living this journey. That makes it real. After all, most of you readers are living the journey too, right, or you wouldn't be reading this blog.

Just this morning (the day of writing this) I was starting to get in tears because I couldn't find my phone before leaving for the day. I retraced steps, knowing I had just had it moments before. I tried calling it from the house phone, but it was on vibrate. Turns out it was tucked under my purse. The night before, I was troubled by not being able to find a charging code. This morning, I found it on my bathroom counter, tucked within a towel I had scooped it up with. I'm still frustrated that I've lost my Bluetooth headset somewhere. (Do you see a pattern here of the things that repeatedly frustrate me? Good ole technology.)

My mind is on a lot of things right now. Nothing is of life or death consequence, but a continual juggling of lots of details. My mind has become dusty with clutter, and I find myself not being in the moment. For example, I absent mindedly gather things while I'm thinking of other things and don't concentrate on where I lay items down. It comes from years of fast-paced multi tasking. But I'm getting a little older now and I find that the brain more quickly gets tired.

So, I think my goal for the next few weeks as I go through some transitions vocationally is to grasp the moment and concentrate more. I've heard it said that the best advice is to "pay attention." The issues above that frustrated me would not have happened if I was attentive to the task at hand and made a mental note of where I put things.

How about you? Does mental clutter make you absent-minded and then frustrated? What do you do about it?   
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this so well! I too struggle to be in the moment. When I'm in prayer, my mind wanders to all the different things I have to do. When I'm listening to my kids, all I can think of is the hundred other things I should be doing. Living in the moment is something that the Lord has been speaking to me about and something I'm trying learn to do. Everyone wants multi-tasking, but honestly I do not think anyone can multi-task well. Uni-tasking is much better!

    ReplyDelete