Friday, July 22, 2011

Losing Things (But Not Our Minds)

I'm adding to my list of things I have misplaced at home. A few months ago I lost a Bluetooth headset. Never have found that and had to accept the wasted money.

Now, I can't find my iPod, which I typically use regularly for podcasts, etc. I remember (I think!) syncing it just a few days ago and carrying it out of my home office. From there, I don't know where I set it down.

Does this ever happen to you? It is frustrating to know something is somewhere in the house but you can't remember where you laid it. So here are some tips that I need to apply and will hopefully help you, too.

Fight distraction. I'm a multi-tasker by nature, but the older I get the more I think I get absent minded partly because there is too much in my head. It may seem silly to concentrate on where you lay something down, but it will help you later when you are looking for it!

Limit locations. Re-train yourself to only lay certain types of items (i.e. keys, technology, etc.) in certain locations at home. For example, have one key hook and never put your keys down anywhere else. Have only 2-3 "acceptable" places for cell phones, iPods, laptops, etc and always return them to one of those three places.

Store logically. Though it's tempting to throw things on the bed or the kitchen table to deal with later, instead think of logical spots for things. Can you hang a hook by the door for keys? Have a charging station for cell phones? Think it through and put things in their home.

Fully unpack when you come in the house. This makes a BIG difference. My tendency is to lay down my bag on the kitchen table, etc and move on to any of a number of other needs. But I am revamping my thinking to not consider my errands finished until I unpack the collections of the day. More on this in next week's post!

Update: my husband found my iPod on the floor (dark tile) under a chair where it must have fallen but the ideas above still apply.

By the way, organizing hope typically changes posts on Fridays, but starting next week, the new posts will be available on Thursdays. I also invite you to check out our latest blog, HOPE Hintsfor nearly DAILY tips about all sorts of ways to stay close to God and do life well.
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment