Friday, October 28, 2011

Confession: My Time Management Challenges

Time management is a constant challenge for me. You'd like that because I wrote a book, TimeManagement, Jesus' Way, I would have a handle on it by now, but it's one of those things that I never quite have victory over. So from one busy person to another, here are a few things I'm learning about my time management challenges, and some solutions I’m applying.

I fail to give myself enough cushion. I like the adrenaline rush of getting that "one last task" done before I head out the door. But I "forget" that it takes me 35 or 40 minutes to get to some destinations, not 30. If I would plan for a 45 minute commute, I could arrive in more peace.

Solution: I am taking more time in estimating how long something should take, and then cushioning it a bit more.

I let my personality get the best of me. I am a fast paced person who tends to juggle a few things at once. That's okay, IF I don't juggle TOO many plates at one time. Since I'm also a task-oriented person, I love getting a lot of things done. However that can make me too driven.

Solution: I am slowly learning to discipline my attention span and focus on tasks for a bit longer time before switching to something else. I am also reminding myself that what I finish is not the measure of my value. 

I expect far too much of myself. For years I have been a juggler and responder. My jobs have naturally programmed me to respond to several messages quickly or get lots of little things done. Because I therefore can mark a lot off my to-do list (many of my tasks are small) I tend to expect I should get them ALL done. I create lists that are too large and then hurry to finish them, getting that adrenaline rush to fill the need I've created within myself.

Solution: apply the Gospel to my life...the fact that Jesus is enough. I don't need to prove to Him or others what I can accomplish. I tend to enjoy having a reputation for quick responses, but must keep my motive pure. Am I doing that to serve others, or so they will think well of me?

How about you? What time management challenges do you have? What have you learned about yourself? 
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth,

    You sound a lot like me. Thanks for these tips. I too am struggling with time management and trying to do too many things. My boss recently told me that I do not have a plate but a platter full of things to manage. She is right.

    I constantly struggle with feeling like a failure or that I am letting some ball drop I'm supposed to be juggling or that I am messing something up. This is driving me to the Lord and He is constantly telling me to relax and take time to enjoy life. Life is not sprinting towards a goal but a leisurely walk with time to smell the roses.

    God is teaching me how to focus as well. I've almost forgotten how to focus on one thing at a time. I'm trying to use the Pomodoro Technique to help me stay focused on one thing for 25 minutes, then take a 5 minute break (or longer if necessary) to get things done.

    And finally, when I feel overwhelmed, I am learning to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance on how to organize my time and for wisdom on doing things more quickly.

    ReplyDelete