Thursday, August 25, 2011

Paraphanalia


Have you ever noticed how much paraphernalia we collect to “do” everyday life? Some time ago I cleaned out the console storage area in our truck. I put a lot of the items on the dashboard and goodness, what a pile of “stuff” it was at the time. There were three different phone charger cords because we each had a different style cell phone. There was a portable GPS, cord, batteries, and holder. A case for sunglasses (that I first found under the back seat.) Pens, tire pressure gage, plastic utensils in plastic wrap from some trip to some restaurant at some point. A converter so an MP3 player can be listened to through our radio. A birthday card from nine months ago.

In other spots in the truck, I had a cord for my plug-in-able coffee cup and an extra, “regular” charger for my cell phone if I needed to use an indoor plug, and a charger cord for my PDA! I put the things away in some sense of order, and could give you reasons for keeping all of them. (Well, most of them.) But I have to confess that it brings one pause to see what it takes to keep our everyday life going—and this was just what was in the vehicle! If these items were put in a time capsule, and sent backwards, how amazed our forefathers and foremothers would be at the complications of life in the modern age.

I’ve written a book, Time Management, Jesus’ Way – Did Jesus Use a Psalm Pilot? It would be interesting to see what, if any, paraphernalia Jesus would carry if He had come to earth in this century. Somehow I don’t think He would bother carrying most of this stuff around. Yet I know I still will, because each of these items does serve a useful purpose. And therein is a bit of a rub…

Question: How do you handle all the stuff you need to carry?
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment