Thursday, September 1, 2011

Wastebasket Strategy


Two wastebaskets in one room? Why not?

That was a novel concept I picked up in a class I took with Stephanie Baker, who is co-authoring a book with Karina Whisnant and I regarding Getting Organized at Home. We were challenged to think of "trouble" areas in our homes and possible fixes.

One of my (many!) trouble areas at home was our master bathroom. It's larger than a typical bathroom, though not huge. I often find need for a wastebasket on both sides of the room, so I decided, "Why not?" I now have a wastebasket under my sink and counter, and one between the toilet and my husband's sink and counter.

It's a small change, but helpful. It doesn't take much extra effort to empty two wastebasket instead of one, and it's simply more convenient.

The same can go for other spots in our home--or yours. This week, think about where you most likely would create trash, and be sure a wastebasket is available. For example, if your family snacks in the den, have a wastebasket handy for used napkins, snack bags, etc.

You can go a step further and steward God's creation a bit by creating recycling centers in your home. In our kitchen, for example, we have a regular trash basket. But we also have a rolling bin (which is actually a large laundry basket with wheels and a handle--see photo) for cardboard, and hanging bags in the pantry for plastic shopping bags and cans/plastic. From time to time, I grab the basket, put it in my truck, and stop at a recycling center.

In my home office, I have a separate bin for recyclable paper and for trash. Keeping bins separate but available helps me develop better habits about handling trash, and do a little "creation stewardship," too.

Question: How many wastebaskets are in your home?

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment