Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cooking in Advance


By Karina Whisnant

One of the ways I am able to provide well for my family during the week is to prepare dinner entrees for about 6 weeks at one given time.  I do this not just on my own but with a friend.  I have done it with several different, wonderful friends through the years.  I probably couldn’t stick to it if I didn’t have a friend taking the plunge with me!  We cook around 24 meals per family in an average of 8 hours.  We incorporate a lot of different meats and casseroles and really only repeat a few recipes.  Most of the 24 meals are different.  Probably a better way to think about it would be food prep instead of cooking.  A recipe could even consist of some raw meat in marinade, especially in the summer when grilling is a treat.  We are doing the hardest part, thinking about “What's for dinner?” ahead of time.

It is difficult sometimes to make the time for it, but it is absolutely worth it.  I have been doing this now for about 11 years and know that I would now have a hard time doing dinner any other way.  Here are some pictures that share some of the process.  I know it sounds hard and crazy, but you would be surprised how even on your own you could cook several meals for the week and have them ready in the freezer.  It would change how you see dinner!





There is no doubt that when you put groceries in the fridge for cook day not a lot else fits in there!  I love looking at that food, knowing that in several hours it will be turned into close to 50 meals!

The dining room table becomes the pallet for the non-perishable food to go into the recipes.  We love it when the table starts looking empty.




We buy most of our meat at Sam’s.  Here is an example of the 10 lb. “loaf” of ground beef that is a VERY reasonable price for around  90% lean beef.  I believe for this cooking night, we had two of these to put in recipes!


If you can ignore my cooking look,  you will see that we do use the Food Saver bags to store the meals.  You wouldn’t have to do it that way, but we find it preserves the food well.

You can see some examples of the food we were preparing that day.  The Japanese Teriyaki Steak is delicious!!

This is a beef stroganoff sauce.  We freeze just the sauce which means you only have to warm the sauce and cook the noodles the night you pull this out of the freezer.  Dinner is served!

Here I am just browning some of the almonds that were going into a chicken recipe.

There is my sweet friend Holly mixing us some mini-cheddar meatloaves!









Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment