Friday, May 10, 2013

Sometimes You Need a Coach, Part 2 (Beth Beutler)

©2013 Jupiterimages Corporation



Last time I shared that I had a very helpful session with Stephanie Baker, Certified Master Christian Life Coach. I mentioned the first of a few takeaways from the session, that of better defining the types of writing I do.

The second takeaway that came from the session had to do with “An Ideal Morning.

Stephanie helped me define for myself what an "ideal" start to my day would look like, and what it would take to see that happen more often than not.

For me, we determined that I need about two hours to allow time to awaken, get ready, have quiet time, have an adequate transition time (i.e. to pack up stuff for the day) and have some moments for a short time in the home office to take care of small, but important to me--daily tasks.

The office time was the obstacle a lot of times, because I'd end up getting distracted and it would expand to fill more than the allotted time. So we determined that I may need to pre-do some of those daily tasks on the days of the week where an outside requirement (such as a business meeting) required me to leave at a certain time. (For me, that is always on Tuesday and Friday, and sometimes on Wednesdays.) The other option is for me to be very disciplined about getting on the computer just for a very limited time on Tuesdays and Fridays so I get out the door on time. That can mean having everything else done--and I mean everything--so once I step away from the desk I am literally heading out the door.

One other component of this was to try to do some client work first thing one morning a week and hold off on my personal/business list of administrative/communication tasks until after that has been completed. I tried that the first week and it felt great to have that responsibility finished early in the day!

I'm also thinking more strategically now about whether I need to work ahead on a morning task if I expect the next morning to be tight. One week, I'd forgotten about one possible addition to one morning that week. It happened, but it all still worked out fine. 

I think in part, just by thinking intentionally, we get a little more disciplined and can reduce some of the stress we create for ourselves.

Next week, I'll share the third and final takeaway from my session, but in the meantime if you'd like to explore what it means to be coached by someone to help you reach a goal, determine direction, or make some needed changes, I recommend you visit Stephanie via her site, www.lifeinabundance.com



Please comment below by clicking on the phrase about comments. You can use Facebook or our regular comment system! We reserve the right to remove inappropriate comments.
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment